Subject: LWTip Sheet
From: "Bunnell, John M." <[email-masked]>
To: "'lightwave-l'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 17:41:00 cdt

The following is the LW tip sheet that is posted by NewTek on the new BBS. 
This is supposed to be an ongoing series. This one is rather short but they 
seem to be trying to get the bugs worked out of the BBS at present. Thought 
everyone might want to have a look.

jmb

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lightwave 3.1 Quick Tips #1

1) Disappearing Clip Mapped Objects:
  A number of Lightwave users have reported that objects using
images as clip maps disappear from some frames of the scene.  In
these cases either the object or the camera was in motion.
Changing the movements of either the camera or the object had the
disconcerting result of simply changing which frames the object
disappears in.  The solution is that when selecting an image as a
clip map in the clip map texture requestor, you must also turn
off antialiasing in the clip map requestor.  Antialiasing is on
by default in this requestor, so the user must always remember to
turn the function off when using an image as a clip map.

2) Making Smoothing work on objects with corners:
 Objects that are fairly rounded to begin with smooth out nicely
using the default smoothing value of 89.5 degrees in the Layout
Surfaces requestor.  If your object has square corners that you
wish to smooth off, set the smoothing function to 91 degrees.
Bear in mind that this function just uses shading to "hide" those
corners that face the viewer.  Sharp angles seen in profile will
not be "rounded off" with any amount of trick shading.

3) "Hidden" Documents for VT 3.1:
  Documentation for the VT utilities and ARexx functions is not
included in the printed manual, but is included in the various
subdirectories of the Toaster software in files that may be read
or printed out.  The files, listed by directory location, are as
follows:

     Toaster/Utilities Directory:
          >Pict.Readme --- documents for ReadPict and WritePict
          >TLoadPicture.Doc --- docs for TLoadPicture, which will
               load an IFF24 picture into a Toaster buffer if
               Switcher is active.
          >Toast100.Doc --- docs for VT's Grass Valley 100
               emulation protocol.
          >ToastNSerial.doc --- docs for serial port control of
               the Toaster.

     Toaster/Arexx_Examples Directory:
          >LightWaveArexx.doc --- Lightwave ARexx commands
          >SwitcherArexx.doc --- Switcher ARexx commands
          Subdirectory lwm:
               >ModelerArexx.doc --- Modeler ARexx commands
          Subdirectory TPaint:
               >TPaintArexx.doc -- ToasterPaint ARexx commands

 In this BBS's TEXT file area, these files and a few others are
collected in the file VTDocs31.WP, an Amiga WordPerfect 4.1 file
(this can be loaded and printed in MS-DOS version WordPerfect 4.1
and higher); the file VTDocs.TXT is an ASCII text file version of
this collection.